closeup of a new student at the 2016 graduate school orientation

Frequently Asked Questions

If you have more questions after exploring the Graduate School website and referring to the list below, please contact us at 509-335-6424, or email Graduating this semester? Look at this website for instructions.

QuestionAnswerWebsite resource
Application Materials?We only need one completed set of application materials and once these are received, we scan them into our imaging system. If you apply to two departments, both departments will have access to your one electronic file. Please send your materials AFTER you apply, because you will receive a WSU ID number when we receive your application. This WSU ID number will also be assigned to your materials to ensure they are added to the correct file. If you have sent your materials before you applied, please let us know, so we can attach your WSU ID number to those documents.
What are the deadlines to apply?For most departments, the application priority deadline is January 10 for Fall and July 1 for Spring. However, some departments have an earlier deadline. Refer to your
degree programs fact sheets for more information. If you apply after January 10 or July 1, be sure to contact the department to see if they are still accepting applications.

What is WSU’s GRE Institutional Code?WSU’s GRE Institutional Code is 4705. The GRE test is required by some departments, so check with them to see which scores they require. For more information on the test, review your Degree Programs Fact Sheet, or contact your prospective department.

Note: Required tests will show the TOEFL, which is only for international applicants. The institutional code for TOEFL scores is also 4705.
Degree Programs
Letters of Recommendation?Once you submit your application, your references will be contacted through the online application system and be asked to submit an electronic recommendation form. You will receive a confirmation email after each letter of recommendation has been submitted. If your recommender did not receive the email, or you would like to change recommenders, follow these directions:
• Log in to your account
• Click on Edit or send reminders to your online recommender’s link.
• Login with userid and password.
• Choose “Take Action” from the dropdown menu (next to each name)
• Edit recommender (allows them to change recommenders)
• Send a reminder (will send a duplicate e-mail)

How do I enter my current or most recent school information on the graduate application?Scroll to the bottom of Page Six (Additional Information tab) and uncheck the CertiFile box. This will allow you to input your current or most recent school information and proceed with the next page of the application.
Mailing Address?
For all mail services (USPS, FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc.):

Graduate School Admissions
Stadium Way
French Administration, Room 324
PO Box 641030
Washington State University
Pullman, WA 99164-1030
Submitting Transcripts?Domestic Students: If you have a copy of your transcript from your previous schools’ Registrar’s Office, you can scan copies of these transcripts and upload them through our online application. These transcripts will be marked “Unofficial” and will be used for the application process. If you do not have a copy of your transcript(s) from your previous schools, please order an “Official” one to be sent to us. Official transcripts need to be sent directly from the previous schools’ Registrar’s Office to WSU. If you are admitted to WSU for Graduate School, we need “Official” transcripts for our records. All transcripts sent to the Graduate School as part of the application process become part of the official Graduate School application file and cannot be returned or transferred.

International Students: Transcripts and degree certificates are required for the application review process. An “Unofficial” transcript and degree certificate (and its English translation) for every college and university you attended is acceptable for the application review process. Applicants may upload copies of Unofficial transcripts and translations through the online application. If you are admitted to WSU for Graduate School, we will need “Official” transcripts for our records. All transcripts sent to the Graduate School as part of the application process become part of the official Graduate School application file and cannot be returned or transferred.

Chinese Students: You have the option of using the CHESICC option on the CollegeNET application to order your official Chinese transcripts after accepting your admission offer at Washington State University. Follow THIS LINK for more information:
What Email address is used as official correspondence between student and the Graduate School?The email listed on your application is valid until you are recommended for admission and acceptance. AFTER you accept the offer of Admission, and throughout matriculation, your new WSU email is the only email the Graduate School will use to conduct business with you.
Are International Students eligible for Federal Financial Aid (FAFSA)?Sorry, no. International Students are ineligible for Federal Financial Aid.
When will I be able to access myWSU?Approximately 2-5 days after you successfully submit your graduate application to Washington State University, you will receive an email from the Graduate School, including your unique WSU ID number. You must use this number each time you interact with the WSU Graduate School’s Admissions office. This number enables you to create a Network ID (NID) to access your account. Once you have created your NID and password, please maintain that information yourself, because the Graduate School staff does not have access to your NID or password.
My recommender indicated that they completed the Letter of Recommendation Form on CollegeNet. How do I confirm that they submitted the form?You will need to log into your WSU account with the email address and password you used when applying. You can check the status of the letters there. The status should show completed. If not, then you can send a reminder email that will have a link for the recommenders to log in and submit. Your WSU Account
I have issues with the online application. Who do I contact for help?The online application is hosted by an outside vendor, CollegeNET. Please navigate to their FAQs for issues.
If you don’t see your question, please visit the bottom of the page where you can find and complete a submission form to CollegeNET.
What do I need to do to apply as an International Student?Please click on this link for International RequirementsInternational Requirements
What are the department or program requirements?Each program/department will have separate requirements from the Graduate School. You may view them here: Degree ProgramsDegree Programs
Does the Graduate School offer conditional admission to International Students?The Graduate School does not offer conditional admission. However, if the student is on a scholarship, is recommended for admission by the department, but does not have the English requirement satisfied, the student may work with the department in updating the application to a future semester to satisfy the requirement.
Can the English requirement be waived? All international applicants must demonstrate a basic proficiency in English by submitting official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB) test scores. Scores must be less than two years old at the time of expected semester enrollment and sent directly to the Graduate School from the Educational Testing Service. The Educational Testing Service reporting code for Washington State University is 4705 (for the TOEFL only). Please note exceptions to the English proficiency requirement:

• Applicants from Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Botswana, Canada, Guyana, Kenya, United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland, Jamaica, New Zealand, Nigeria, and Trinidad and Tobago are exempt from the English proficiency requirement.

• International students who have or will have graduated with a baccalaureate -level or higher degree from an accredited four-year U.S. or Canadian college or university within two years of the expected semester of enrollment at the WSU Graduate School are not required to submit English proficiency test scores (TOEFL scores).

Student copies of scores, or photocopies, are not official and will not be used in the final admission process. The minimum acceptable IELTS score is 7. For more information, please phone the Educational Testing Service at (609) 921-9000. For more information about the Intensive American Language Center program and language requirements, visit Intensive American Language Center.
How do I know if all my application materials have been received?If you have uploaded your unofficial transcript with your application, the Graduate School will use those documents to review your application. Your letters of recommendation will be received as your recommenders submit them. You may contact your program or department to verify if they have all the materials needed to review your application.
Payment issues on the CollegeNet application?If you are having payment issues with the CollegeNET application, the most common issue is that the address listed on the application does not match the address listed for the credit card billing information. If this is not the case, you will need to contact CollegeNET regarding payment issues. There is also a help page for CollegeNET: HERE
What should my sponsor letter, or affidavit of support say? We have an example affidavit of support for you. Feel free to use this one and fill in the information to fit your situation. Affidavit of SupportAffidavit of Support (PDF)
How should I submit all of my supporting documents?When emailing or mailing any supporting documents, be sure to include your student ID#, your name used on your application, and your date of birth.