International Student Requirements

Academic Requirements

Prospective international applicants must

  1. Have earned the equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution. Typically, students should have completed a minimum of four years of study beyond grade 12.
  2. Have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale or a B grade or better.
    1. International GPA calculator:
  3. Please check with your specific Degree Program to determine whether a GRE test is required.
    The Fact Sheet pages also provides program contact information.
    NOTE: WSU’s GRE Institutional Code is 4705.
  4. Provide three letters of recommendation through the online application process.
  5. Gain admittance from the department or program in which you are seeking a degree or pursuing graduate study. The department/program may have additional requirements. Applicants can learn about the specific departmental by checking the Degree Programs page.
  6. Submit unofficial transcripts from all colleges and universities attended. If the transcripts are not in English, an unofficial copy of the transcript in the applicant’s native language, along with its English translation, is acceptable. These transcripts should be uploaded through the online application. NOTE: Once transcripts are submitted, they become part of the official Graduate School application file and cannot be returned or transferred. Foreign Credential and Transcript Evaluation is not required. 
  7. Access Spantran Translation Services

Language Requirements

Prospective international applicants must meet any of the following options as evidence of English language proficiency:

Option A

Hold a U.S. baccalaureate or graduate degree from a regionally accredited institution. 

Option B

Hold citizenship or a baccalaureate or graduate degree from an institution in any of the following countries: Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, The Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, British Overseas Territories, British Virgin Islands, Botswana, Cameroon, Canada, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Gambia, Ghana, Grenada, Guyana, Ireland,  Jamaica, Kenya, Montserrat, Nigeria, New Zealand, Rwanda, Saint Lucia, Saint Christopher and Nevis, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Singapore, South Africa, South Sudan, Tanzania, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, Uganda, or the United Kingdom. 

Option C

Hold a baccalaureate-level or higher degree from a college or university outside the United States where the language of instruction was English (provide an official letter or transcript from the school stating English was the language of instruction).

Applicants who do not meet any of the options detailed above must earn the following minimum English language proficiency exam scores. These scores must be submitted directly to the Graduate School (school code 4705) from the testing services. Unofficial scores are not accepted.

ExamTOEFL EssentialsTOEFL (PBT)TOEFL (iBT)IELTSDuolingoCambridge B2 First, C1 Advanced, C2 ProficiencyMichigan English Test (MET)Pearson Test for English (PTEA)International Test of English Proficiency (iTEP)
Minimum Score8540756.510517652564.5
Sub-scoreListening, 8-9Listening 55Listening, 17Listening, 6.5Conversation, 110
Speaking, 8-9Speaking, 20Speaking, 6.0

Graduate programs may require applicants to achieve higher scores than the minimums listed above. See graduate degree programs for individual requirements.

Required Documents

If recommended for admission or specifically requested during the evaluation process, applicant must submit the following official documents to the Graduate School

Financial verification:

The student may submit application materials without financial verification. However, if a student is admitted and plans to enroll at Washington State University they must submit the Certificate of Finances.

Copy of passport bio page:

The applicant should submit a clear and readable copy of their passport bio page. 

Official academic credentials:

If admitted, official transcripts, mark sheets, grade reports, or examination results, along with degree certificates from all higher education institutions attended outside the United States or Canada are required. When sending official transcripts from schools located in non-English-speaking countries, each institution must submit both the English translation plus an original language record. For these documents to be official, they need to be in a stamped and sealed envelope. See instructions below.

For Fed Ex, UPS, or DHL, use the following:

Graduate School Staff
Graduate School
410 Dairy Road
French Administration 324
Pullman, WA 99164-1030

For the U.S. Postal Service, use the following:

Graduate School Staff
Graduate School
PO Box 641030
Pullman, WA 99164-1030

The Vice Provost for Graduate and Professional Education grants final approval of admission based on program recommendation and assuming general admission requirements have been met.

Immigration Documents

Admitted applicants may apply for an F-1 or J-1 visa at the U.S. Embassy or consular in the country of origin. Below please find the non-immigrant visa categories:

  • F-1/J-1 Student visa: for those who wish to pursue studies at an accredited U.S. university.
  • F-2/J-2 Dependent visa: for the accompanying spouse, or minor children younger than twenty-one years, of an F-1 or J-1 student.