I’m planning to graduate this semester.
What do I need to do?
Complete at the beginning of your graduation semester before submitting any exam information:
- Enroll for your research (700, 701, 702, or 800) credits (2 cr. minimum, you may need to register for more). If in doubt, contact the Academic Coordinator in your graduate program.
- Apply for Degree for Fall 2020 graduation (choose the semester in which you will take your final exam and graduate). Pay the fee via your myWSU account.
- Summer 2020 Deadline: May 29, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. (to avoid a late fee) – Application open
- Fall 2020 Deadline: October 9, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. (to avoid late fee) – Application opens 6/8/2020
- Spring 2021 Deadline: March 5, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. (to avoid late fee) – Application opens 3/5/2021
The earlier you Apply for Degree, the sooner we will be able to perform your degree audit (referred to as a “To-Do”).
NOTE: This is not the same as signing up to walk in Commencement. To Register for Commencement, please see the Commencement website.
One month before your exam date (or earlier):
Download the Scheduling form. Notice this is a fillable PDF, so download the form by clicking on the download button (generally located at the TOP right-hand part of your screen). Once you’ve downloaded it using Adobe Acrobat, READ Page ONE. On Page TWO, provide the information asked for and *SELECT the EXAM TYPE you are scheduling. COMPLETE all details as indicated, SAVE your scheduling form, and then PRINT it out and obtain all signatures (students: remember to also sign it yourself).
*Once you select the Exam TYPE, information will appear on screen which is applicable to this specific type of exam. Read this information carefully.
Three weeks before your exam date:
After ALL signatures have been obtained on your scheduling form, keep a copy for yourself and SUBMIT the completed, ORIGINAL SCHEDULING FORM to your ACADEMIC COORDINATOR. (This will allow your coordinator a few days’ time to review the form to ensure it is complete and to UPLOAD/SUBMIT it to the Graduate School Graduate Records Management (GRM) portal).
Ten working days before your EXAM DATE (or earlier):
- Your completed scheduling form must arrive at the Graduate School (sent via our GRM portal by your Academic Coordinator/program). If it is not complete, it will be returned for completion (which will necessitate your form to be corrected and re- submitted and it will then be LATE!).
- Your FINAL DRAFT thesis or dissertation must be uploaded to ProQuest (PhD) or sent to email@example.com (Master’s theses). Please see the Submission Guidelines/Formatting Requirements pdf. Your thesis/dissertation is reviewed for proper formatting before we can schedule your exam.
Scheduling forms may be submitted to the Graduate School before deadline; however, if you do that, ALL information on the form must be the true/correct information for the exam. Do not submit the scheduling form thinking you can change or complete the date/time/locations — doing so causes problems, including delayed scheduling/double or triple handling of an exam (inefficient use of staff time) or your exam not being scheduled at all (worst-case).
WSU Graduate School Policies and Procedures:
Chapter 7 – Master’s Degree (letter ‘D’ is the section that discusses the master’s final exam) – ALL Master’s degree students must submit a scheduling form for their final exam. https://gradschool.wsu.edu/chapter-seven-d/
Chapter 8 – Doctoral Degree (letter ‘E’ is the section that discusses the doctoral final exam). https://gradschool.wsu.edu/chapter-8-e/
For students submitting a Master’s thesis or Doctoral dissertation:
Here are the submission instructions and formatting requirements. We will review your dissertation right before we schedule your exam, so be sure to watch for that email and keep it for your use/reference. If your written document looks to be in good order, the changes we identify should be minimal.
DEADLINES and PROCEDURES (Instructions/Steps) for Master’s and Doctoral Degrees are found on our FORMS website under ‘D’ (for Deadlines).
Other helpful documents (on our FORMS website):
- *Thesis and dissertation Word template is recommended
- Thesis and Dissertation Formatting and Submission Requirements
- Thesis/Dissertation Final Acceptance Checklist
Don’t forget to:
- Plan ahead
- Monitor your WSU email
- Maintain good communication with your committee and your graduate program
- Have a really good semester!
WSU Graduate School
Programs and Graduations