Skip to main content Skip to navigation
Washington State University Graduate School

Resources For You and Your Family

Washington State University is firmly committed to providing a quality graduate education in a family-friendly environment. Recognizing that many of our graduate students come to WSU with families, we have developed policies, programs, and services to help graduate student parents meet their parenting obligations while pursuing their graduate degree. In addition to a comprehensive benefits package for graduate assistants, we offer a unique short-term parental leave program with paid benefits for graduate assistants, and day and evening childcare options on campus.

Tri Komala WSU graduate student Ghynecee Temple and daughter Carlos Anguiano and family

Family Housing

WSU provides seven apartment complexes designed for students with children. They offer affordable rents and safe, family-friendly living settings that are conveniently located on the university campus. For more information about on-campus family housing, view the following website here.



WSU Childcare Resource and Referral

This agency provides a variety of information and services for families. Trained parent counselors are available to help you with your parenting questions and concerns, including:

-Assistance in locating child care providers in Pullman that meet your family’s specific needs,
-Information about quality care for children,
-Child care checklists to assist you on visits to child care programs,
-Help determine if your family is eligible for subsidized care, and information about how to locate and hire in-home caregivers.

For more information go here.

WSU Children’s Center

WSU’s Children’s Center serves WSU students, faculty and staff children age 6 weeks through 12 years. The Children’s Center offers a developmentally appropriate learning environment advocated by the National Association for the Education of Young Children led by trained professionals in child care. For more information click here.

Evening Childcare Options

The WSU Children’s Center provides evening child care for children of any enrolled WSU student, staff or faculty Monday through Thursday from 5:30 to 9:30 pm for children ages 4 weeks to 12 years. There is a one-time $50 registration for children of graduate students who use the GPSA subsidy. Space is limited on first-come, first serve basis. For information click here.

GPSA Evening Childcare Subsidy Program

This program is funded through the WSU Graduate and Professional Student Association (GPSA). All Pullman Campus WSU Graduate and Professional students who have enrolled in the WSU Children’s Center are eligible for subsidized evening care. A one-time $50 registration fee per family is required. GPSA will then pay for nightly tuition ($18) for the children of graduate & professional students after the registration fee has been paid.

Community Child Care Center

This non-profit agency provides a number of childcare programs and family support services to Pullman and the surrounding community. Head Start and Early Head Start programs provide comprehensive services to income-eligible families at no cost.  For more information, please click here.

Pullman School District

The Pullman community highly supports education and values the effective learning experience of all children. The community demonstrates interest and commitment to public education with widespread involvement through a district-wide volunteer program, a Pullman Education Foundation, strong parent/teacher associations, and the Pullman High School Boosters. Students consistently have some of the highest state scores on standardized assessments. For more details click here.

Food Resources

Moscow Food Co-op – Locally grown food with a student discount
Cougs Feeding Cougs – an anonymous food assistance program.
TRiO Food Pantry
Food Pantry at the Women’s Resource Center
SNAP/EBT accepted at The Market
Palouse Fresh Food Project
Farmers Markets

  • Pullman: Every Wednesday from May 14 – October 22, 3:30 – 6:00 m. Location: 240 N. Kamiaken St.
  • Moscow: Every Saturday from the first weekend of May to the last weekend in October, 8:00 a.m. – 1:00 pm. Local musicians entertain local produce and crafts for sale. Located on Main Street in Moscow

Thrift stores in the area

Palouse Treasures
Lilly Bee’s
Goodwill Stores
Hope Center
Affordable Consignments
Habitat for Humanity
Salvation Army

Leave Policies and Healthcare

The Graduate School has adopted several academic accommodation policies designed to support graduate students with substantial parenting responsibilities, those expecting to give birth and those that have medical/family emergencies.

Emergency Family/Medical Leave

Emergency Family/Medical Leave (EFML) is for graduate students who must leave school for one or more semesters due to a medical or family emergency that is defined under the federal Family Medical Leave Act. the program entitles graduate students in good standing to be away from the university while maintaining some benefits and services during their leave period.  for more information, click HERE.

Short-term Parental Leave

The Short-term Parental Leave plan provides up to four consecutive weeks of leave for the period directly before or after the birth or adoption of a child. During this time, the student continues to be enrolled, and, if on an assistantship appointment,  will continue to receive graduate assistant benefits (i.e., tuition waivers will remain in place), health benefits, and his/her salary. For more detailed information about parental leave, visit HERE.

Health Care

Medical and dental insurance plans

Medical and dental plans are available to certain graduate student assistants (GSA) as a benefit. Talk with your appointing department to determine your eligibility, or visit HERE. International students are required to enroll in the iSHIP, unless they waive out.  Domestic students who are not eligible for the GSA plan have to buy insurance off the insurance exchange for the state.  Spouses/partners can enroll in the GSA or iSHIP plan if the student is enrolled in the plan.

Health care services for families

Health and Wellness Services (HWS) offers a Grad Student Health PASS (Partner and Spouse Services) for partners and spouses of graduate students. Graduate students may enroll their spouse or partner in the Grad Student Health PASS program and pay a fee each semester for access to the on-campus medical clinic. For more information, eligibility and coverage details, click HERE.

Health and Wellness medical clinic services (Visit HERE):

  • Office visits
  • Urgent care
  • On-site pharmacy
  • 24-hour telephone nurse
  • Women’s clinic
  • Sports medicine
  • Mental health services
  • Immunizations
  • Allergy injections
  • Vision clinic
  • Physical therapy
  • Nutrition clinic
  • Health promotion workshops

Washington Recovery Centers

Washington drug and alcohol addiction treatment facilities can help you get your life back on track. While there are many top programs, it’s critical to locate one that will meet your requirements. By looking at our addiction treatment facility reviews and ratings, you can get ahead as you search. When you’re ready, finding help to book rehab is just a toll-free phone call away at 1-888-501-9571.