new students at 2016 graduate school orientation

Costs and Finances

Graduate School Costs

Managing Your Finances

Tax Implications

WSU does not withhold federal income taxes on fellowships and traineeships, and will not report it on an annual 1099 IRS Form. Graduate fellows who are US citizens and resident aliens are responsible for paying all income taxes that may become due as a consequence of receiving graduate fellowship stipend payments. It is the student’s responsibility to understand the federal and state income tax implications of receiving a fellowship.

The IRS provides general information to assist students in determining tax liability and reporting obligations. Tax liability depends on a student’s particular circumstances, and students are advised to contact a personal tax advisor or the IRS with any questions or concerns.

IRS Live Telephone Assistance Toll-free:

Instructions for 1099-MISC Form: Instructions for the Form 1099-MISC. To find your Local IRS Office, visit:

International students can find more information regarding their tax liability within the International Programs.

Payroll Deduction

Graduate students on half-time (20 hrs. /wk.) assistantship appointment may pay their mandatory fees through payroll deduction during the fall and spring semesters.

With similar eligible conditions as Graduate Health Insurance, for this program, students must sign up each semester to take advantage of the deduction opportunity. Students may enroll in the program through WSU Workday only after their assistantship appointment has been entered into WSU Workday.

Students will select the deduction based on their assistantship appointment campus location to accurately deduct and credit their student accounts for that semester and can verify amounts on their semi-monthly paystubs by viewing their Online Earnings Statement. Check the Payroll website for more campus-specific details and instructions specific to Graduate Pay.

Assistantship Check Distribution, Deposit,  and Tax Information

Payments are issued on the 5th of each month. We recommend students use direct deposit to ensure fast arrival of funds. You may sign up for through Payroll Services.

Contact Payroll Services.