Skip to main content Skip to navigation
Washington State University Archives

Special Announcements Spring 2020

Graduate School Announcements


The Doctoral Program of Endless Possibility

2017 Ph.D. graduate Mason Burley finds ways to improve mental health treatment

By Amir Gilmore

Graduate School Evening of Excellence event at the Banyan’s event center on Thursday, Feb. 18, 2016 in Pullman.

Imagine the endless research possibilities and complex problems you could solve in a flexible graduate program tailored to your individual interests. Spokane native and 2017 Ph.D. graduate Mason Burley realized the possibilities in WSU’s individual interdisciplinary doctoral degree program (IIDP), where he researched mental health treatment through the lens of epidemiology, biostatistics, health administration and policy, and public health.

“The IIDP allows students to draw upon the strengths and resources from three different departments,” says Mason. “We can ultimately address critical problems that may not be unique to a single discipline.”


Mason graduated May 5 at the Spokane campus commencement ceremony.

When considering a Ph.D program, Mason talked with Kenn Daratha associate professor in the College of Nursing and a 2004 WSU IIDP graduate, and decided the IIDP program would be a good fit for his research interests.

“The program is designed to be flexible,” says Mason. “There is a lot of balancing between engaging with your committee members and communicating your research goals— but that is the nature of interdisciplinary research.”

Mason’s interest was mental health treatment. He recognized that only about half of the individuals with mental health conditions were receiving psychiatric treatment, so he focused his dissertation research on improving acute in-patient psychiatric treatment by developing a risk profile for individuals who face recurrent psychiatric hospitalizations over a short period.

“I am interested in access and availability and engagement in mental health treatment,” says Mason.

In addition to the flexibility of the program, students also benefit from strong academic support from faculty that span the three disciplines. Mason’s mentor and committee chair, Kenn Daratha, advised him on scholarly research and authored several publications with him. John Roll, vice dean for research in the Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine, was a staunch supporter of Mason’s research, and Mel Haberman, professor in the College of Nursing, helped with grant development and research writing. Jae Kennedy, professor and Chair of Health Policy and Administration, gave Mason the opportunity to teach statistics to his graduate students. Graduate School Associate Dean Patricia Sturko and Associate Dean Lisa Gloss were essential in guiding Mason through interdisciplinary research and providing a space to cultivate ideas. With the support of his committee, Mason was the recipient of the 2015-16 Russ and Anne Fuller Fellowship.

“The IIDP gave me the opportunity and confidence to pursue research without any preconceived constraints,” says Mason. “During my time in the program, I really valued the expertise of my committee members and looked to their suggestions about how I could apply discipline-specific knowledge to address overarching issues affecting behavioral health policy and treatment access.”

Last December, Mason began working for Premier, Inc., a hospital-owned quality improvement organization based in Charlotte, North Carolina. He works specifically for a division of the company called Premier Research Institute, which interfaces with foundations, university researchers and federal agencies to complete health outcomes research.

For more information about IIDP, and what students are researching, visit the IIDP website.


Phyllis Eide Receives Mentor Academy Award for Excellence

By Cheryl Reed

The WSU Graduate School has awarded Associate Professor Phyllis Eide the 2017 Graduate School Mentor Academy Award for Excellence for her work in mentoring graduate students. Eide has been a faculty member in the College of Nursing on the WSU Spokane campus since 2002, and a member of the Graduate School Mentor Academy since 2009.

“When I found out I had won the award, I just about fell off my chair,” said Eide. “I am gratified beyond belief. It is one of the highlights of my year.”

The Graduate Mentor Academy is a group of faculty who have volunteered to assist students during the most challenging aspects of their program, including preliminary examinations and defenses. The Graduate School established the Graduate Mentor Academy to provide students an unbiased and supportive presence during exams and defenses—someone to ensure that university policies and procedures are followed and correct protocol is observed. For example, Mentor Academy faculty will collect ballots, make sure that no committee member leaves during a defense, and assist in creating a comfortable test environment for the student.

“Logistically, taking exams and defending can be very difficult for students,” says Bill Andrefsky, dean of the Graduate School. “People in the Graduate School programs department rely on faculty mentors to step up and serve students as advocates, either upon the student’s request, or for a student’s second exam attempt. Dr. Eide is one faculty who has always willingly served graduate students over the years—which is why I established this award last year. Faculty need to be recognized for their service.”

Faculty members volunteer for the Graduate Mentor Academy upon invitation from the Graduate School, and serve for a three-year term—although their term is often renewed.

“Dr. Eide mentored nine different students on two different test retakes this year,” says Mary Stormo, academic coordinator in the Graduate School. “She also met with committees and assisted in negotiating the swirling waters around students who were taking their exams for the second time. She helped work out the exam kinks with the department to ensure that fair testing was in place.”

Eide says that her presence at exams and defenses usually has a calming effect on the student, but that is not her only purpose. She also takes care of other more concrete tasks of the exam and defense process to make sure the process is comfortable and as stress-free as possible.

“I always arrive early to coordinate with the chair,” she says. “At the last event, I contacted the IT Department to make sure that all the technology was working correctly to prepare for electronic testing.”

In spite of the time commitment, Eide says that serving the students has been an honor.

Eide is an associate professor in the WSU College of Nursing in Spokane. She has been certified by American Nurses’ Credentialing Center in advanced practice nursing as a clinical nurse specialist in community health since 1992 and holds a certificate in Decision Making for Climate Change from the University of Washington (2010). Before entering academia in 1992 at University of Hawaii/Hilo, she worked in a wide variety of community settings, including positions in public health, migrant school nurse, Associate Director of Hawaii Nurses’ Association, and vocational rehabilitation. Her primary practice and research interests are rural health, global climate change, and public health.

“It takes a village for this kind of work,” says Eide, who plans to use the Graduate Mentor Academy award to fund her new research on climate change.

Eide will receive her award at the Graduate School Evening of Excellence event on April 13. This is the second year that the Graduate School has awarded the Graduate School Mentor Academy Award for Excellence. In 2016, Lisa McIntyre of the Department of Sociology won the first annual award.

For more information about the Graduate School’s mentor policy and the role of Graduate Mentor Academy members, visit HERE.


Graduate Student Learning Outcomes

All graduate programs at WSU are required to have an assessment plan with clearly identified student learning outcomes and practices for collecting, reviewing and using assessment data for program improvement. The student learning outcomes describe the knowledge, skills, and attitudes that graduate students are expected to learn in their degree program. Links to student learning outcomes for each graduate degree program are listed below.

Graduate ProgramDegree
Agricultural EconomicsPh.D.
American StudiesPh.D.
American StudiesM.A.
Animal SciencesPh.D.
Animal SciencesM.S.
Apparel, Merchandising, Design, and TextilesM.A.
Applied EconomicsM.S.
Biological and Agricultural EngineeringPh.D.
Biological and Agricultural EngineeringM.S.
Chemical EngineeringPh.D.
Chemical EngineeringM.S.
Civil EngineeringPh.D.
Civil EngineeringM.S.
Combined Anatomic Pathology ResidencyPh.D.
Combined Anatomic Pathology ResidencyM.S.
Combined Clinical Microbiology ResidencyPh.D.
Combined Clinical Microbiology ResidencyM.S.
Computer EngineeringM.S.
Computer Science - VancouverM.S.
Coordinated Program in Dietetics, Nutrition & Exercise PhysiologyM.S.
Criminal Justice and CriminologyPh.D.
Criminal Justice and CriminologyM.A.
Crop SciencePh.D.
Crop ScienceM.S.
Cultural Studies and Social Thought in EducationPh.D.
Curriculum and InstructionEdM
Curriculum and InstructionM.A.
Doctor of Pharmacy
Doctor of Veterinary Medicine
Educational LeadershipPh.D.
Educational LeadershipEdD
Educational LeadershipEdM
Educational LeadershipM.A.
Educational PsychologyPh.D.
Educational PsychologyM.A.
Electrical EngineeringPh.D.
Electrical EngineeringM.S.
Engineering and Technology ManagementMETM
Engineering SciencePh.D.
English Language LearnersEdM
English Language LearnersM.A.
Environmental and Natural Resource Sciences Ph.D.
Environmental EngineeringM.S
Environmental ScienceM.S.
Family Nurse Practitioner DNP
Fine ArtsMFA
Food SciencePh.D.
Food ScienceM.S.
Food Science and ManagementM.S.
Foreign Languages and CulutresM.A.
Health Policy and AdministrationMHPA
Hospitality and TourismPh.D.
Immunology and Infectious DiseasesPh.D.
Immunology and Infectious DiseasesM.S.
Individual InterdsiciplinaryPh.D.
Information SystemsPh.D.
Integrative Psysiology and NeurosciencePh.D.
Integrative Psysiology and NeuroscienceM.S.
Interior DesignM.A.
Landscape ArchitectureM.S.
Language, Literacy and TechnologyPh.D.
Literacy EducationEdM
Literacy EducationM.A.
Master of Business AdministrationMBA
Masters in TeachingMaster
Material Science and EngineeringPh.D.
Materials Science and EngineeringM.A.
Mathematics & Scinece EducationPh.D.
Mechanical EngineeringPh.D.
Mechanical EngineeringM.S.
Mechanical Engineering - VancouverM.S.
Molecular BiosciencesPh.D.
Molecular BiosciencesM.S.
Molecular Biosciences - ProfessionalPSM
Molecular Plant SciencesPh.D.
Natural Resource ScienceM.S.
Operations and Management SciencePh.D.
Pharmaceutical SciencesPh.D.
Plant BiologyPh.D.
Plant BiologyM.A.
Plant Health ManagementM.S.
Plant PathologyPh.D.
Plant PathologyM.S.
Political SciencePh.D.
Political ScienceM.A.
Population HealthDNP
Population HealthMN
Prevention SciencePh.D.
Psychiatric/Mental Health Nurse PractitionerDNP
Public AffairsMPA
Software EngineeringM.S.
Soil SciencePh.D.
Soil ScienceM.S.
Special EducationPh.D.
Special EducationEdM
Special EducationM.A.
Speech and Hearing SciencesM.S.
Sport ManagementM.A.
Strategic CommunicationM.A.
Veterinary Clinical Training ProgramPh.D.
Veterinary Clinical Training ProgramM.S.

Graduate School Catalog

Graduate School Catalog

2021-22 Graduate School Catalog (PDF)


View or download the most current WSU Graduate School academic catalog, which contains information about WSU’s doctoral, master’s, global, specialized, and certificate programs, as well as a complete and updated list of graduate courses.

This document is searchable; click Ctrl/F to pull up the search function. The table of contents of the document is hyperlinked to enable a quick find of the information about the programs and courses; just press Ctrl and click on the line item you wish to view. The catalog contains the following information:

1. Academic Calendar
2. WSU Administration
3. Admission and Registration
4. Academic regulations
5. Tuition, fees, and financial aid
6. Degree programs

Tuition and Finances

Graduate School Costs


Graduate Student Assistantships

Assistantship appointments provide financial support to a graduate student who engages in teaching, research, and/or service. Most assistantships include a tuition waiver, health insurance, and monthly stipend. Graduate assistants are required to work 20 hours per week during the semester in which they receive the assistantship. To find more about teaching, research, and graduate assistantships.

Managing Your Finances


Assistantship Check Distribution, Deposit,  and Tax Information

Payments are issued on the 5th of each month. We recommend students use direct deposit to ensure fast arrival of funds. You may sign up for direct deposit through Payroll Services.


Payroll Deduction

Graduate students on half-time (20 hrs. /wk.) assistantship appointment may pay their mandatory fees through payroll deduction during the fall and spring semesters. With similar eligible conditions as Graduate Health Insurance, for this program students must sign up each semester in which they wish to take advantage of the deduction opportunity. Students may enroll in the program through WSU Workday only after their assistantship appointment has been entered into WSU Workday. Students will select the deduction based upon their assistantship appointment campus location to accurately deduct and credit their student accounts for that semester, and can verify amounts on their semi-monthly paystubs by viewing their Online Earnings Statement. Check the Payroll website for more campus specific details and instructions specific to Graduate Pay.


Tax Implications

WSU does not withhold federal income taxes on fellowships and traineeships, and will not report it on an annual 1099 IRS Form. Graduate fellows who are US citizens and resident aliens are responsible for paying all income taxes that may become due as a consequence of receiving graduate fellowship stipend payments. It is the student’s responsibility to understand the federal and state income tax implications of receiving a fellowship.

The IRS provides general information to assist students in determining tax liability and reporting obligations. Tax liability depends on a student’s particular circumstances, and students are advised to contact a personal tax advisor or the IRS with any questions or concerns. IRS Live Telephone Assistance is Toll-free: 1-800-829-1040. Instructions for 1099-MISC Form: Instructions for the Form 1099-MISC. To find your Local IRS Office, visit:

International students can find more information regarding their tax liability within the Office of International Students and Scholar Information website.


Frequently Asked Questions


If you have more questions after exploring the Graduate School website and referring to the list below, please contact us at 509-335-6424, or email Graduating this semester? Look at this website for instructions.


QuestionAnswerWebsite resource
Application Materials?We only need one completed set of application materials and once these are received, we scan them into our imaging system. If you apply to two departments, both departments will have access to your one electronic file. Please send your materials AFTER you apply, because you will receive a WSU ID number when we receive your application. This WSU ID number will also be assigned to your materials to ensure they are added to the correct file. If you have sent your materials before you applied, please let us know, so we can attach your WSU ID number to those documents.
What are the deadlines to apply?For most departments, the application priority deadline is January 10 for Fall and July 1 for Spring. However, some departments have an earlier deadline. Refer to your degree program fact sheets for more information. If you apply after January 10 or July 1, be sure to contact the department to see if they are still accepting applications. Apply

What is WSU’s GRE Institutional Code?WSU’s GRE Institutional Code is 4705. The GRE test is required by some departments, so check with them to see which scores they require. For more information on the test, review your Degree Programs Fact Sheet, or contact your prospective department.

Note: Required tests will show the TOEFL, which is only for international applicants. The institutional code for TOEFL scores is also 4705.
Degree Programs
Letters of Recommendation?Once you submit your application, your references will be contacted through the online application system and be asked to submit an electronic recommendation form. You will receive a confirmation email after each letter of recommendation has been submitted. If your recommender did not receive the email, or you would like to change recommenders, follow these directions:
• Log in to your account
• Click on Edit or send reminders to your online recommender’s link.
• Login with userid and password.
• Choose “Take Action” from the dropdown menu (next to each name)
• Edit recommender (allows them to change recommenders)
• Send a reminder (will send a duplicate e-mail)

How do I enter my current or most recent school information on the graduate application?Scroll to the bottom of Page Six (Additional Information tab) and uncheck the CertiFile box. This will allow you to input your current or most recent school information and proceed with the next page of the application.
Mailing Address?
For all mail services (USPS, FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc.):

Graduate School Admissions
Stadium Way
French Administration, Room 324
PO Box 641030
Washington State University
Pullman, WA 99164-1030
Submitting Transcripts?Domestic Students: If you have a copy of your transcript from your previous schools’ Registrar’s Office, you can scan copies of these transcripts and upload them through our online application. These transcripts will be marked “Unofficial” and will be used for the application process. If you do not have a copy of your transcript(s) from your previous schools, please order an “Official” one to be sent to us. Official transcripts need to be sent directly from the previous schools’ Registrar’s Office to WSU. If you are admitted to WSU for Graduate School, we need “Official” transcripts for our records. All transcripts sent to the Graduate School as part of the application process become part of the official Graduate School application file and cannot be returned or transferred.

International Students: Transcripts and degree certificates are required for the application review process. An “Unofficial” transcript and degree certificate (and its English translation) for every college and university you attended is acceptable for the application review process. Applicants may upload copies of Unofficial transcripts and translations through the online application. If you are admitted to WSU for Graduate School, we will need “Official” transcripts for our records. All transcripts sent to the Graduate School as part of the application process become part of the official Graduate School application file and cannot be returned or transferred.

Chinese Students: You have the option of using the CHESICC option on the CollegeNET application to order your official Chinese transcripts after accepting your admission offer at Washington State University. Follow THIS LINK for more information:
What Email address is used as official correspondence between student and the Graduate School?The email listed on your application is valid until you are recommended for admission and acceptance. AFTER you accept the offer of Admission, and throughout matriculation, your new WSU email is the only email the Graduate School will use to conduct business with you.
Are International Students eligible for Federal Financial Aid (FAFSA)?Sorry, no. International Students are ineligible for Federal Financial Aid.
When will I be able to access myWSU?Approximately 2-5 days after you successfully submit your graduate application to Washington State University, you will receive an email from the Graduate School, including your unique WSU ID number. You must use this number each time you interact with the WSU Graduate School’s Admissions office. This number enables you to create a Network ID (NID) to access your account. Once you have created your NID and password, please maintain that information yourself, because the Graduate School staff does not have access to your NID or password.
My recommender indicated that they completed the Letter of Recommendation Form on CollegeNet. How do I confirm that they submitted the form?You will need to log into your WSU account with the email address and password you used when applying. You can check the status of the letters there. The status should show completed. If not, then you can send a reminder email that will have a link for the recommenders to log in and submit. Your WSU Account
I have issues with the online application. Who do I contact for help?The online application is hosted by an outside vendor, CollegeNET. Please navigate to their FAQs for issues.
If you don’t see your question, please visit the bottom of the page where you can find and complete a submission form to CollegeNET.
What do I need to do to apply as an International Student?Please click on this link for International RequirementsInternational Requirements
What are the department or program requirements?Each program/department will have separate requirements from the Graduate School. You may view them here: Degree ProgramsDegree Programs
Does the Graduate School offer conditional admission to International Students?The Graduate School does not offer conditional admission. However, if the student is on a scholarship, is recommended for admission by the department, but does not have the English requirement satisfied, the student may work with the department in updating the application to a future semester to satisfy the requirement.
Can the English requirement be waived? All international applicants must demonstrate a basic proficiency in English by submitting official Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB) test scores. Scores must be less than two years old at the time of expected semester enrollment and sent directly to the Graduate School from the Educational Testing Service. The Educational Testing Service reporting code for Washington State University is 4705 (for the TOEFL only). Please note exceptions to the English proficiency requirement:

• Applicants from Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Botswana, Canada, Guyana, Kenya, United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland, Jamaica, New Zealand, Nigeria, and Trinidad and Tobago are exempt from the English proficiency requirement.

• International students who have or will have graduated with a baccalaureate -level or higher degree from an accredited four-year U.S. or Canadian college or university within two years of the expected semester of enrollment at the WSU Graduate School are not required to submit English proficiency test scores (TOEFL scores).

Student copies of scores, or photocopies, are not official and will not be used in the final admission process. The minimum acceptable IELTS score is 7. For more information, please phone the Educational Testing Service at (609) 921-9000. For more information about the Intensive American Language Center program and language requirements, visit Intensive American Language Center.
How do I know if all my application materials have been received?If you have uploaded your unofficial transcript with your application, the Graduate School will use those documents to review your application. Your letters of recommendation will be received as your recommenders submit them. You may contact your program or department to verify if they have all the materials needed to review your application.
Payment issues on the CollegeNet application?If you are having payment issues with the CollegeNET application, the most common issue is that the address listed on the application does not match the address listed for the credit card billing information. If this is not the case, you will need to contact CollegeNET regarding payment issues. There is also a help page for CollegeNET: HERE
What should my sponsor letter, or affidavit of support say? We have an example affidavit of support for you. Feel free to use this one and fill in the information to fit your situation. Affidavit of SupportAffidavit of Support (PDF)
How should I submit all of my supporting documents?When emailing or mailing any supporting documents, be sure to include your student ID#, your name used on your application, and your date of birth.
I am currently on a research assistantship. What will happen to my assistantship if there are no longer duties for me to perform?Considering COVID-19, research assistantship duties must be flexible, and new duties should be negotiated with the supervisor. It’s unlikely that there will be no duties to perform. If the student makes a good faith effort to work with the supervisor to identify duties that fulfill the assistantship requirement, the assistantship and associated benefits will remain in good standing.

If there is a conflict in fulfilling the assistantship duties, the student has several avenues for redress, including contacting the department or unit chair, the Ombuds office, and the Graduate School. Assistantships cannot be terminated without allowing the student the opportunity to appeal the decision.
Am I allowed to complete my assistantship through telework? Yes. Graduate students can telework in order to fulfill their assistantship duties and their research credits (700- and 800-level). Please refer to the 20 Mar 2020 memo from the Dean of the Graduate School and Interim Provost.
I am a supervisor. Do I need to give assignments to the graduate student, so they can continue to receive their assistantship? Yes. Considering COVID-19, research assistantship duties must be flexible, and new duties should be negotiated with you. If the student makes a good faith effort to work with you to identify duties that fulfill the assistantship requirement, the assistantship and the associated benefits will remain left in good standing.

Establishing Residency

Establishing Residency

Please Read The Instructions Carefully

Because tuition is considerably less expensive for Washington residents than out-of-state students, you should establish residency right away after you arrive in Washington State. For questions or assistance, contact Jenny Saligumba-Graham,


The Questionnaire and supporting documentation must be received by the Graduate School by the 30th day of classes of the term for which you are seeking residency. If you are seeking residency for the fall term, for example, your deadline would be the 30th day of classes for the fall semester. You can find the deadline on the WSU Academic Calendar.  Ensure you are viewing the calendar for the correct term. For summer, the deadline is the Monday following the 5th day of classes.

You will need to submit the Residency Questionnaire and supporting documentation (see below) to the Graduate School. Documentation may be mailed or submitted in person. We do not accept faxed questionnaires or documentation. Please find your status below and read the instructions thoroughly.

Keep in Mind

  • You will need to enter your information onto the form and print, sign, and submit the form to the appropriate office along with your supporting documentation. To speed your request, make sure the information is complete and correct.
  • Documentation may be mailed or submitted in person.  We do not accept faxed questionnaires or documentation. Your questionnaire will not be processed until all supporting documentation is received.
  • Depending on the time of year, it may take up to two weeks to process your questionnaire and supporting documentation. Please plan accordingly.
  • If the document is listed as required,  you must submit it.
  • Decisions on resident status are based on documentary evidence submitted, which become a part of your file and are not returned.
  • Students are responsible for paying the resident portion of their fees while awaiting a determination of their residency status.  You may find the cost of attendance and tuition rates here.
  • Residency policies are set by the State of Washington (RCW 28B.15) and applied uniformly throughout Washington’s public colleges and universities.


Requirements if you are financially independent

You are financially independent if you are not claimed as a dependent by either parent on income tax returns and you pay at least 51% of the cost of attendance, which includes tuition, fees, room, board, books, supplies and transportation as published by the WSU Office of Financial Aid.

1. Fill out both sides of the Questionnaire completely
2. Provide the following required items:

  • Copies of lease(s), rental agreement, letter from landlord, rent receipts, canceled rent checks or home purchase agreement verifying domicile in Washington for the 12 months prior to beginning of semester. You must account for the entire 12 month period.
  • Copy of State of Washington voter’s registration card or statement from county auditor with date registered, if you are registered to vote. (Must have obtained 12 months prior to beginning of semester)
  • Copy of State of Washington vehicle registration, if you own or use a vehicle in the state of Washington. If you use (but do not own) a vehicle, it must be registered in the state of Washington. (Must have registered vehicle 12 months prior to beginning of semester)
  • Copy of State of Washington driver’s license or State of Washington identification card (if you do not drive or do not have a previous driver’s license from another state).  Residents of the State of Washington are required to surrender their previous state’s driver’s license and obtain a State of Washington driver’s license or state identification card within 30 days of moving to and establishing a domicile in the state.  More information on obtaining a State of Washington driver’s license or identification card can be found here.
  • Any other documents you may have with dates showing that you have established a “home” in Washington, such as bank account statements.
  • Copy of your federal tax return and W-2 forms for the most recent tax year. If you have not filed a tax return, please provide copies of W-2 forms, if any.
  • If you are 24 or younger, you must also provide a copy of your parents’ return(s) (first page listing dependents and the signature block are required).
  • If 24 or younger, submit documents verifying your financially independent status for the current calendar year and the prior calendar year. To be considered financially independent, a student must demonstrate by evidence satisfactory to the institution that he or she has met, through his or her income, the expenses associated with college tuition and living for the current calendar year and the calendar year immediately prior to the year in which application is made, such as:

Financial aid grants, scholarships and loans authorized by the Financial Aid Office in the student’s name may be considered as personal income.

A trust or other account available to the student may be considered evidence of financial independence if the account was created before the student entered high school. You must submit documentation of the date account was established and proof the account was used to pay for expenses associated with college tuition and living for the current calendar year and the calendar year immediately prior to the year in which application is made.

Personal loans, PLUS loans, checking & savings accounts, gifts, and cash earnings SHALL NOT be counted as income in this calculation. Receipt of the Federal Parent PLUS loan will contradict financial independent status.

3. Sign Section 2 and the back of the Questionnaire form.

Requirements if you are financially dependent (supported by a parent/guardian)

1. Fill out Section 1 and Section 2 of the questionnaire. If you are not a U. S. citizen, but hold permanent resident immigration status, temporary resident status, “Refugee-Parolee,” “Conditional Entrant” status, or are permanently residing in the United States under color of law, attach a copy of both sides of your Resident Alien Card

2. Your parent or court-appointed guardian completes Section 3 and provides documents verifying his/her status as a Washington State resident as stated below:

  • Copies of lease, rental agreement, letter from landlord, rent receipts, canceled checks or home purchase agreement verifying domicile in Washington for the 12 months prior to beginning of semester. You must account for the entire 12 month period.
  • Copy of State of Washington voter’s registration card or statement from county auditor with date registered, if you are registered to vote. (Must have obtained 12 months prior to beginning of semester)
  • Copy of State of Washington vehicle registration, if you own or use a vehicle in the state of Washington. If you use (but do not own) a vehicle, it must be registered in the state of Washington. (Must have registered vehicle 12 months prior to beginning of semester
  • Copy of State of Washington driver’s license or State of Washington identification card if you do not drive. (Must have obtained 12 months prior to beginning of semester)
  • Any other documents you may have with dates showing that you have established a “home” in Washington (bank accounts).

3. Provide a copy of your parent(s) federal income tax return for the most current year verifying your dependent status (only the listing of dependents and signature block are required) . If your parent or court-appointed guardian is not a U.S. citizen, but she/he holds permanent or temporary resident status, or “Refugee-Parolee,” “Conditional Entrant” status, or is permanently residing in the United States under color of law, attach a copy of both sides of his/her Resident Alien Card, Temporary Resident Card or other verification of his/her status with USCIS.

4. You and your parent must sign the back of the Residency Questionnaire form.

Requirements if you are Military Personnel/Civil Service

1. If you are active-duty military or the dependent of an active military member stationed in the state of Washington, provide a copy of your military ID and your orders to:

Veterans Affairs Office
French Administration Bldg Room 346
PO Box 641035
Pullman, WA 99164-1035

2. If you are a dependent of an active-duty military, or civil servant, who claims Washington as your residence, but who is stationed outside of the State of Washington, your parent or guardian must complete Section 3 of the questionnaire and also provide:

  • Evidence he/she is a member of the military
  • Evidence of his/her Home of Record
  • Evidence of ties maintained to the State of Washington (voter registration, driver’s license, vehicle registration) REQUIRED
  • Copy of his/her federal tax return for the most recent tax year (first page listing dependents and the signature block are required).

IIDP Faculty

Individual Interdisciplinary Faculty

NameEmailResearch/Teaching Interests
Joseph Keim Campbelljosephc@wsu.eduMetaphysics, Epistemology, History of modern philosophy, philosophy of science
Matthew Cohencohenm@wsu.eduArchitectural history and theory
Martha L. Cottamcottam@wsu.eduInternational Relations; Political Psychology
Anne Coxanne.cox@wsu.eduKinesiology, physiology of physical activity
Nairanjana Dasguptadasgupta@wsu.eduGenomics and bio-informatics
T. Randall Fortenberyr.fortenbery@wsu.eduAgricultural economics
Jessica Goldbergerjgoldberger@wsu.eduAgricultural sociology
David E. Gundersondegunderson@wsu.eduInternational construction management and culture
Dogan Gursoydgursoy@wsu.eduHospitality marketing, operations, international tourism
Linda Heidenreichlheidenr@wsu.eduChicana/o studies and history, queer studies
Jeffrey Joiremanjoireman@wsu.eduConsumer behavior, marketing research
C. Richard Kingcrking@wsu.eduRacial politics of culture
William Max Kirkmkirk@wsu.eduCognitive processes in leadership in construction
David Leonarddjl@wsu.eduCivil rights coalitions, pop culture
Jill J. McCluskeymccluskey@wsu.eduMarket power in food industries
Lisa J. McIntyreljmcint@wsu.eduQualitative methods
Sterling Marshall McPhersonsterling.mcpherson@wsu.eduPsychopharmacology and Substance Abuse
Thomas W. Okitaokita@wsu.eduBiochemistry of starch synthesis and protein localization
Nancy Potternlpotter@wsu.eduDepartment of Speech & Hearing Sciences
John Thomas Prestontpreston@wsu.eduInternational relations, political psychology, security policy
Paula Groves Pricepgroves@wsu.eduDiversity, multicultural education, social and cultural foundations of education
John Michael Rolljohnroll@wsu.eduHuman behavioral pharmacology
Jeffrey C. Sandersjcsanders@wsu.eduPacific Northwest history, environmental history
Nishant Shahaninshahani3@wsu.eduQueer theory, LGBT studies, transnational feminism
Steven D. Stehrstehr@wsu.eduPublic policy and public administration
Alexis S. Tanalextan@wsu.eduCommunication and prejudice, effective intercultural communication and stereotypes
Sarah C. Ullrich-Frenchsullrich@wsu.eduSport and exercise psychology, social psychology, motivation theory, research methods
Victor Villanuevavictorv@wsu.eduRhetoric and writing
Lori J. Wiestlwiest@wsu.eduConducting; international and national touring, choral conducting and literature
Michael P. Wolcottwolcott@wsu.eduStructural composite material design, sustainable design
Jia Yanjiay@wsu.eduTransportation economics, applied microeconomics, applied econometrics
Jonathan Yoderyoder@wsu.eduNatural resource and microeconomics, environmental and natural resource economics

Interdisciplinary Degrees

Interdisciplinary Degrees

The Graduate School administers three interdisciplinary degree programs, offering students an opportunity to tailor a unique program based on individual interests. Working with top-ranked research faculty at WSU, graduate students cross traditional boundaries and discover new insights to solve the world’s problems.

Individual Interdisciplinary Doctoral

This doctoral program is individually designed to meet the professional interests and research endeavors of each student. Although the program maintains a high degree of flexibility, it is rigorous and requires the involvement of the graduate school and several academic units on campus. Students in this program work with an advisor and committee who oversees the development of each unique degree program

For detailed information, and who to contact, visit here.

Molecular Plant Sciences

Considered one of the top programs of its kind in the world, this program incorporates plant physiology, biochemistry and molecular biology. Faculty in this program include three National Academy of Science members and some of the most influential plant science researchers in the world. All students in this program receive some form of financial assistance, such as training grants, individual research grants, predoctoral fellowships, or teaching assistantships. First-year students visit several different labs during their first weeks to help make an informed decision about pursuing the specific science that interests them.

For detailed information and who to contact, visit here.

Materials Science and Engineering

This collaborative, vibrant program is the largest interdisciplinary doctoral program in materials science and engineering in the Northwest. The program enables students to access a wide range of research facilities from mechanical, materials, civil, chemical and bioengineering as well as physics and chemistry. Several faculty members have collaborations with the high-ranked Life Sciences Programs at WSU, and more than 50% are fellows and leaders of their professional societies. MSEP students take advantage of WSU’s strong ties to the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory by  participating in a special research internship program that allows them to complete a portion of their research as a resident at the Environmental Molecular Sciences Laboratory at PNNL.

For detailed information and who to contact, visit here.