Student Learning Outcomes
All graduates will be able to:
- To provide training that will enable students to become successful professionals in positions in industry, government and academia, the program will provide a graduate experience that will:
- Provide an educational experience that conveys to students an excellent understanding of the breadth of the field of Entomology, and a superb level of specific expertise in their chosen defined area of this field.
- Develop the expertise to use entomological knowledge to address emerging problems in agricultural science and vector-based human and animal health issues.
- Present research to local, regional, national and international audiences though publications and conference papers. Participate in professional organizations through membership, attendance and presentations at meetings.
- Improve their ability to teach and communicate though experiential teaching activities within the department and community.
- To prepare students to conduct innovative research on entomologically-based issues of international importance, the program will provide a graduate experience that:
- Encourages students to conduct innovative research of a specific research topic while simultaneously cultivating their ability to recognize and address knowledge gaps in their field through appropriate research.
- Motivates the student to inculcate a solid understanding of prior research in their field and to demonstrate this understanding through their research reviews, oral presentations and publications.
- Assists the student to develop an ability to clearly communicate their research findings to professional and stakeholder audiences and to have a robust understanding of the scientific method, statistical inference and hypothesis testing.
- To enhance the visibility and impact of the graduate program in Entomology at WSU both nationally and internationally, the program will:
- Attract and retain high quality graduate students.
- Provide effective mentoring and tracking of student progress to ensure a quality graduate experience and encourage timely completion of graduate requirements.
- Assist in placement of students in positions in industry, government and academia.
- Seek to hire, mentor and retain nationally recognized research faculty that will actively support entomological graduate student research.