Student Learning Outcomes
All graduates will be able to:
- To guide the graduate education of students preparing for professional careers in the development, production, distribution and consumption of textiles and apparel or related fields, which helps students:
- Develop expertise in appropriate theories, concepts and emerging methodologies from the fundamental disciplines of sociology, economics, marketing, design, materials.
- Participate in professional organizations, becoming members and attending meetings that are local, regional, national and international in nature.
- Broaden their professional foundations through activities such as teaching, research, internships, fellowships and grant applications.
- To prepare students to be effective researchers in the development, production, distribution and/or consumption of textiles and apparel including textile product development, apparel design, merchandising, management, consumer behavior, or socio-cultural and historic aspects of dress, which helps students to
- Become independent, self-motivated researchers with the ability to recognize problems in their field of expertise and be able to demonstrate that knowledge capably in a review of the literature.
- Develop a comprehensive knowledge of previous and current research in their field of expertise and be able to demonstrate that knowledge capably in a review of the literature.
- Generate viable questions within their field of expertise and pose problems or hypotheses related to those questions.
- Apply sound research methods to problems related to the production, distribution, and consumption of textiles and apparel.
- Discuss the solution to the research problem or the support or lack of support for the hypothesis in a way that effectively document the contribution of the research to the area of study.
- To improve visibility of graduate program by supporting graduate students to disseminate their research outcomes via peer-reviewed publications or juried designs, which helps
- Attract, secure, and retain high-quality students.
- Prepare graduates with research knowledge and experience ready for positions in industry and academics.
- Maintain a nationally recognized faculty that is large enough and appropriately distributed across the fields within the department (apparel, merchandising, design and textiles).