Student Learning Outcomes
All graduates will be able to:
- To enable students to develop as successful professionals in a collaborative, interdisciplinary environment as preparation for highly competitive positions in industry, government, and academia, the program aims to provide a variety of experiences that help students to:
- Achieve mastery of knowledge in the general field of molecular plant sciences and the highest level of expertise in a specific, defined area of this field.
- Develop the expertise to use molecular technology to solve novel and emerging problems related to plant and agricultural sciences.
- Present research to local, regional, national, and international audiences through publications in professional journals and conference papers given in a range of venues and to a diverse type of audience.
- Participate in professional organizations, becoming members, attending meetings, and taking leadership roles where appropriate.
- Broaden their professional foundations through activities such as teaching, internships, fellowships, and grant applications.
- To prepare students to be effective and innovative researchers in the field of molecular plant sciences, the program aims to provide a variety of experiences that help students to:
- Become independent, self-motivated researchers with the ability to recognize problems in their field of expertise and formulate solutions to the problems.
- Develop a comprehensive knowledge of previous and current research in their field of expertise and be able to demonstrate that knowledge capably in a review of the literature.
- Generate viable questions within their field of expertise and pose problems or hypotheses related to those questions.
- Apply sound research methods to problems in molecular plant sciences and describe the methods effectively.
- Perform statistical analyses of research data and present the results in a way that makes clear sense of the data.
- Discuss the solution to the research problem or the support or lack of support for the hypothesis in a way that effectively documents the contribution of the research to the area of study.
- To enhance visibility of the doctoral program in molecular plant sciences nationally and internationally, the program aims to:
- Attract and retain high-quality students.
- Provide effective mentoring that encourages students to graduate in a timely manner.
- Place graduates in positions in academia, industry, and government.
- To attract, retain, and support nationally-recognized research-active faculty actively involved in the molecular plant sciences graduate program.