Student Learning Outcomes
All graduates will be able to:
- To enable students to develop as successful professionals in a collaborative, interdisciplinary environment as preparation for highly competitive positions in industry, government, and academia, the program aims to provide a variety of experiences that help students to:
- Achieve mastery of knowledge in the general field of molecular plant sciences and the highest level of expertise in a specific, defined area of this field.
- Develop the expertise to use molecular technology to solve novel and emerging problems related to plant and agricultural sciences.
- Present research to local, regional, national, and international audiences through publications in professional journals and conference papers given in a range of venues and to a diverse type of audience.
- Participate in professional organizations, becoming members, attending meetings, and taking leadership roles where appropriate.
- Broaden their professional foundations through activities such as teaching, internships, fellowships, and grant applications.
- To prepare students to be effective and innovative researchers in the field of molecular plant sciences, the program aims to provide a variety of experiences that help students to:
- Become independent, self-motivated researchers with the ability to recognize problems in their field of expertise and formulate solutions to the problems.
- Develop a comprehensive knowledge of previous and current research in their field of expertise and be able to demonstrate that knowledge capably in a review of the literature.
- Generate viable questions within their field of expertise and pose problems or hypotheses related to those questions.
- Apply sound research methods to problems in molecular plant sciences and describe the methods effectively.
- Perform statistical analyses of research data and present the results in a way that makes clear sense of the data.
- Discuss the solution to the research problem or the support or lack of support for the hypothesis in away that effectively documents the contribution of the research to the area of study.
- To enhance visibility of the doctoral program in molecular plant sciences nationally and internationally, the program aims to:
- Attract and retain high-quality students.
- Provide effective mentoring that encourages students to graduate in a timely manner.
- Place graduates in positions in academia, industry, and government.
- To attract, retain, and support nationally-recognized research-active faculty actively involved in the molecular plant sciences graduate program.