Student Learning Outcomes
All graduates will be able to:
- To direct students for successful and productive careers in biological sciences, we will facilitate:
- Achievement of the highest level of expertise in biological sciences, master knowledge of these fields and apply that knowledge to address novel and emerging problems.
- Presentations of student research to national and international audiences through both peer-reviewed and popular publications, professional meetings and conference proceedings.
- Participation in professional organizations.
- Development of professional foundations through activities such as teaching, internships, fellowships, and preparation of grant applications.
- To prepare students to be leading researchers in the fields of biological sciences by training graduate students to do the following:
- Become independent researchers by developing expertise in their chosen area, thereby enabling original contributions that extend beyond their degree program.
- Apply sound research methods and tools to problems in their area of study.
- Communicate their research clearly and professionally in both written and oral forms.
- Develop a comprehensive knowledge of previous and current research in their field of expertise and be able to demonstrate clearly such knowledge.
- Train students to be highly effective teachers in the fields of biological sciences by:
- Providing a teaching training course to all students in the program.
- Encouraging students to become engaging instructors in their chosen fields using modern pedagogical techniques.
- Teaching students to incorporate emerging scientific discoveries in lectures, thereby keeping the classroom experience cutting-edge for students.
- Teaching students to review and revise classroom materials to enhance the learning experience for students.