- This event has passed.
Hacking the Academic Job Market
March 24, 2017 @ 10:00 am - 1:00 pmFree
The Professional Development Initiative Presents:
Hacking the Academic Job Market with Dr. Karen Kelsky
In this three hour talk with Q and A, I walk you through the conditions of the current American job market, the most common mistakes made by job-seekers, and the ways you can prepare your record, applications, and interviews.
- The big-picture conditions of the U.S. tenure track job market
- How to think like a search committee
- The four core qualities of a successful tenure track job candidate
- The all-important 5-Year Plan
- The ethos of job market documents
- The most common mistakes made by job seekers
- The three keys to academic interviewing
- The non-academic option
We also examine the common errors of tone made by job-seekers, such as narcissism, excessive humility, and hyper-emotionalism.
You’ll leave with a broad understanding of the real (as opposed to fantasy) criteria of tenure track hiring, how to tailor your record and application materials to maximize your chances of success, and how to strategize a career plan for the academic market, while keeping an eye on possible post-academic options.
All PDI events will be available to sites other than Pullman through a web link that will be emailed to you before the event. Please make sure to register on the link below and indicate at which WSU site you are located.
Please register for the event by clicking on the following link: